The packaged bees arrived Friday and were installed in Hive #1 (Not Two Bee). On Saturday morning, Andrew came by in his pick-up loaded with nuc boxes and we picked out a likely candidate for Hive #2 (Two Bee). Andrew had Italian, Carniolan and “other” and I suspect these are Other. They are too dark to be Italian (like Not Two Bee) and too short to be Carniolan. They were active on Saturday’s sunny afternoon and when I set the nuc box atop the hive and ripped the duct tape off the entrance they poured out into the air in a steady stream.
I waited two days before moving the frames from the nuc to the hive, to give the bees a chance to locate and begin foraging. Monday, at around 10 a.m. it was still and sunny. I opened the box (3″ screws – they weren’t going to get loose during transit!), opened the hive and lowered the frames full of bees into their new home. I added a styrene hive-top feeder with about 2 gallons of light sugar syrup and closed them up. I left the nuc on top of the hive for stragglers, and to extend the mapping process.
It’s cold tonight, 44 and dropping. When I checked on the hives as the sun was setting (around 8 p.m. this close to midsommer) no one was flying. The upper entrance on each hive was crowded with bees shifting and pawing the raw wood around the entrance. Everything seemed peaceful, all right with the world.